5 Wildfire Safety Tips
Hundreds of homes across Riverside County are near woodlands and could someday be in the path of a wildfire. Keeping your home ready for wildfires and help stop the spreading of the fires or even prevent them from the beginning.
- Keep your gutters and roofs clean. Remove dead vegetation and shrubbery from your yard that is too close to the home. Keep your lawn hydrated and cut short.
- Select building materials and plants that resist fire. Desert plants need less water and raise the property value of your home.
- Make sure driveway and your house address are clearly marked. This helps the first response teams get you faster.
- Set aside items that can be used as fire tools. A rake, axe, hand or chain saw, bucket and shovel.
- Identify and maintain a good water source outside your home. Examples include a small pond, well or swimming pool if a fire hydrant is not available.